I have been returning to a healthier lifestyle. This means I do more cooking. I concocted this Quinoa-based soup using ingredients I had on-hand. This recipe is more carb-y than I would generally make, but I didn't want the potatoes to go to waste and I couldn't break up the bag of frozen peas, so I had to use the whole thing. :)
My kitchen is slowly reflecting healthier ingredients so, in future, I would change out the potatoes and peas for something else.
This soup is very yummy and only improves with age.
This is the first time I used quinoa that is pre-rinsed - it's nice not to worry about rinsing it to remove the bitterness. Quinoa is absolutely packed with protein. I'm going to make this again tomorrow!
Quinoa Vegetable Soup
- scant Tblsp oil for frying onion and garlic
- water, as needed, for water-sauteing other veggies
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cubes frozen garlic
- 3 red potatoes (med sized), cubed
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 Tblsp (generous) Blend It Up Spice (original flavor)
- 3 tiny zucchini
- 3 cubes frozen parsley
- handful of green beans, cut into pieces
- 1 box no-chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tblsp (generous) Fuhrman Vegizest powder (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (prewashed)
- 1 bag frozen peas (it was frozen solid, so I used the entire bag)
- couple handfuls of baby spinach
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Saute the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add the veggies that taker longer to cook - potatoes and carrots. Add seasoning - the Blend It Up spice, in my case.
- Add water, as needed, to water-saute the veggies. The potatoes start to break down after a bit. This is good.
- Add the veggies that cook more quickly - zucchini and green beans, along with the parsley.
- Once the veggies have cooked a bit, add the liquid - in my case, a mix of Imagine No-Chicken broth and water.
- Add the quinoa, frozen peas and spinach. Add the Vegizest, if desired. (A powder that is packed with nutrition, but is purely optional.)
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, until all the veggies, and the quinoa, are done.
- Remove from heat. At this point it is thick, but it will get even thicker as it cools. This is how I like it - almost a stew. But if you prefer a thinner soup, you can thin it out with water or stock.