Saturday, December 10, 2011

See's Fudge

This was the family fudge recipe that my grandmother made every holiday season as I was growing up. It was one of my grandmother's specialties, but my mother and great-grandmother also made it. I often wondered at the name on the recipe card, "See's Fudge". See's Candy is a favorite in California, but in my memory they never sold fudge.

This is my favorite fudge recipe. My kids love it and I usually make several batches every December because they gift it to their friends.

Now, thanks to the Internet, I've googled this recipe and found several hits. On food.com, they say:

This is the original See's fudge recipe I found when I did a Google search HISTORICAL NOTE: Given to Amy DeVore by Emma Julian c. 1930, this is “supposedly” the original recipe for See's Fudge, produced by the See's Candy Company, Los Angeles. Emma allegedly worked for See's and later owned her own candy store.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/sees-fudge-candy-the-original-recipe-273828#ixzz1gCxD4yY0.


See's Fudge

  • 1/2 lb (2 cubes) butter
  • 1 tall (12 oz) can evaporated milk
  • 3-12 oz bags of chocolate chips (36 oz total)
  • 7-oz jar marshmallow cream; original recipe calls for 8-oz jar, but they are now making it as a 7-oz jar
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 4-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  1. Melt butter.
  2. Add evaporated milk and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar. (Do not stir after this point until the pot is removed from heat.)
  3. Bring to a boil, count 8 minutes from the time the mixture starts to boil.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips and marshmallow cream.
  5. Add nuts and vanilla and stir to incorporate.
  6. Pour into buttered 13"x10" pan. Let cool and cut into squares.
  7. When first poured, it appears oily. Once it has cooled, the oiliness is absorbed. (Note that this picture, and the previous picture, are from two different batches.)
  8. Store in refrigerator or freezer. Aging improves flavor.

You should not make this on a rainy day or it may not set properly.

4 comments:

  1. Must. Make. Fudge.

    This is actually very close to the recipe that I use, which is a slight variation of the one published on the back of the label on a jar of Kraft Marshmallow Creme.

    Alas, no marshmallow creme in the cupboard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, Lisa. If you are thinknig of Fantasy Fudge, this tastes quite different than Fantasy Fudge. And, in my opinion, the taste of this fudge is far superior. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!
    Thank you for commenting. I'm following you back, dear.
    xoxo
    Nina

    ReplyDelete