Friday, October 8, 2010

Spinach Manicotti

Wow, I goofed. I forgot to take a photo of the Manicotti right away and the hordes descended. I had to content myself with photographing the post-apocalyptic remains. An acrimonious fight ensued over how the remainder should be equitably divided.

This is slightly modified from the Barilla Manicotti box, which includes 6oz of mushrooms in the spinach saute. My youngest draws the line at mushrooms.

The soup and frittata, along with green salads with feta, got me through most of the week, but I figured I'd bring out the fattening pasta for the end of the week. I was paid in hugs. I also made a pumpkin pie this week – it was a special request, but was told that, while it was good, I should keep experimenting with other recipes. :)

Spinach Manicotti

  • 1 box (8oz) of Manicotti shells, such as Barilla
  • olive oil
  • 2 cubes of frozen crushed garlic, or two cloves, crushed
  • 1 bag (6 oz) of fresh spinach, chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 24 oz jar Marinara sauce
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan and gruyere (mixed)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cook manicotti as directed on package. Cool on wire rack, separating each piece.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute briefly. Add spinach and continue to saute approx 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Beat eggs lightly in medium bowl. Stir in ricotta, basil, and salt. Stir in cooked spinach.

Spray 14x9x2 baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread 3/4 cup marinara sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Fill manicotti and arrange single layer in dish. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Notes:

Wow, the extra garlic makes this soooo good. This causes fights in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment